Hip, cool and swanky city hotels are on the rise matching the spending power and lifestyles of young professionals and business travellers. The business hotel scene in Kuala Lumpur (KL) has enough options to satisfy the busy traveler, from the luxurious Ritz Carlton to the swanky Traders KL. And for many years, the Le Meridien and Hilton KL dominated the scene in KL Sentral, the transportation hub of the city. Not until recently when Aloft KL made its epic entrance.
Seamless check-ins, ipod docks, central phone charging stations, grab & go snack cafes, a virtual concierge, and a 24/7 gym is fitting for the urban dweller on holiday in another city. Aloft KL embodies a lifestyle that gives his guests the comforts of home with the sophistication of a highly trendy atmosphere.
Within walking distance to KL Sentral, Aloft KL picked an ideal spot as a base. It was no wonder the hotel lobby was abuzz when I checked-in on a weekday afternoon. Professionals in sleek business attire, couples in their late 20s and 30s and small families made the crowd. Check-in was literally seamless as I was ushered to W xyz lounge for a quick drink while they processed my details. I was immediately drawn to animated cartoon drawings of personalities such as Elvis, Ronald MacDonald, John Lennon & Men in Black plastered on the wall. These lively paintings are interpretations and works of young and emerging Malaysian artists. With the same vision of promoting the local arts scene, local indie bands jam at W xyz every week.
Stylish and modern hotel rooms with spectacular views
The contemporary minimalist décor of the city hotel are the best conditions for a relaxing stay in Kuala Lumpur. The room comes with individually-adjustable air conditioning, flat-screen TV, free WIFI and an array of designer teas and coffee. The bathrooms are fitted with rain showers and walled-in body wash and shampoo dispensers. The hallmark of the room is the view, with top-to-toe windows that show off the expansive view of the city’s skyline giving guests a glimpse of the city’s hubbub.
Breakfast for Kings and Queens
A wide spread of local and European flavours, breakfast is an exciting affair at Nook. Huge syrup-filled syringes, rainbow lolly cakes, bottled marshmallows and trays of cookies keep the buffet spread light and refreshing. A dozen and more choices to choose from, variety is not lacking – local flavours like nasi lemak, beef rendang, sambal sotong, Sarawak laksa and dim sum are a must. Accompanied by fusion picks from the fresh salad deck with an array of cold cuts and cheese, juicy roast beef carving station, eggs from the classic egg-station and heavy skillets filled with hash browns, bangers and mash, breakfast soon becomes brunch.
Plusses that make Aloft KL a cool stopover:
- Getting around is a breeze – Sooka Sentral, KLCC, Bukit Bintang are all within easy reach of the hotel or a ride away by train from KL Sentral located just opposite the hotel.
- Connectivity – Fast free WIFI for all, yes even if you are lounging in the lobby.
- Affordability – With rooms priced from RM300 / USD90, almost everyone can have a trendy stay.
- Open- decked Mai Bar – Beanbags for lounging, free bubblies for ladies on Thursday and an electric view of KL by night are three great reasons to grab a drink.
- Your abs don’t need to go on holiday – With a gym that opens 24/7, your body can recharge with adrenaline anytime.
- Speedy-Gonzalez lifts – The lifts match the fast-paced city life. With over 30 floors and a never-ending string of guests, fast lifts are a great convenience.
- Freebies – refresh before heading out with free cordial shots at the re:mix lounge.
Being an urban dweller myself, I’d have to say that I’ve been converted by this chain of lifestyle hotels. Ultimately, what I love is Aloft KL’s vision to grow young talent. From front desk to housekeeping, the Aloft staff, called ‘talents’ are young, vibrant, energetic youth and they are, the very essence that keep the hotel hip, cool, and swanky.